This was a Christmas family favourite of ours. Nan would make for us to have fresh on the big day.
- 1 mix of Click Here Sweet Pastry Mix.
- 1 jar of mince meat or better one batch of Click Here – Mince Meat Mix.
- some sugar for covering the tops.
- 1 egg. Break an egg into a cup and mix it up. This makes the egg wash.
- Select a pie tray mine has little dishes / cups to hold 12 pies.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge.
- Sprinkle a little flour on a flat surface, this stops the pastry from sticking to the surface whilst rolling it
- Using a rolling pin or if you do not have one, I have used a heavy bottle such as a wine bottle. Roll the pastry lump, regularly turning over and give it a twist until the pastry is the correct size and thickness to fill the cup in the pie dish.
Cut the pastry into 12 parts the size to fill each of the the cups in the pie dish and 12 to make lids for each. Or I use standard pastry cutters / rings to make this easier.
- Wipe each of the cups the insides with a small piece of butter / other fat, on some towel, greaseproof paper etc. This is to stop the pies from sticking to the dish.
- Place the rolled out pastry over the a pie cup and work it into the cup. Helping the base touch the base of the tin and working the pastry up the sides of the tin up to its top edge.
- Now fill the pie with the filling the mix at the top of the page is very good, or use a shop brought jar which is a lot easier.
- Roll out the smaller piece of pastry until it is the correct size to form a lid.
- Before lifting the lid on brush a little egg wash around the pastry edge both the pastry in the tin and the lid just made. The egg acts as a a glue to keep things together.
- Place the lid on top of each pie and press using a finger tip all around the edge to help the lid stick to the pie.
- Trim the edges to form a neat edge to each pie.
- Brush each of the lids with some egg wash and sprinkle it a little sugar. This gives a nice colour and taste to the pies once they are cooked.
- Place in a pre heated over ~ 170 C – 180 C
- Check after 20 mins if needed add a little more cooking time. The lids should be a deep golden brown colour.
- Remove the pie tray from the oven and allow to cool a little before moving to a cooling rack. If you take them out of the tray too early they tend to fall apart.