This was a family favourite of ours.Nan would make for us to have fresh on a Friday evening. Serves well with cream, custard or as is.
A good recipe for custard is made by The Hairy Bikers and can be found here.
- 1 mix of Click Here Apple / Fruit Mix.
- 1 mix of Click Here – Sweet Pasty Mix.
- 1 egg. Break an egg into a cup and mix it up. This makes the egg wash.
- Optional – sultanas, cinnamon, nutmeg.
- Select your 8″ / 20 cm pie tin or any other oven proof dish.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge. Divide the mix into 2 parts, 1 being about a 1/4 the size of the other.
- Sprinkle a little flour on a flat surface, this stops the pastry from sticking to the surface whilst rolling it
- Using a rolling pin or if you do not have one, I have used a heavy bottle such as a wine bottle. Roll the larger of the pastry lumps, regularly turning over and give it a twist until the pastry is the correct size and thickness to form a base and come up the sides of your dish.
- Wipe the dish insides with a small piece of butter / other fat, on some towel, greaseproof paper etc. This is to stop the pie from sticking to the dish.
- Place the rolled out pastry over the dish and work it into the dish. Helping the base touch the base of the tin and working the pastry up the sides of the tin up to its top edge.
- Now fill the pie with the filling. You can add a hint of either nutmeg or cinnamon. I also like to add a few sultanas.
- Roll out the smaller piece of pastry until it is the correct size to form a lid.
- Before lifting the lid on brush a little egg wash around the pastry edge both the pastry in the tin and the lid just made. The egg acts as a a glue to keep things together.
- Place the lid on top of the pie and press using a finger tip all around the edge to help the lid stick to the pie.
- Trim the edges to form a neat edge to the pie. This is easy, run the back edge of a knife around following the edge of the pie tin.
- Brush the lid with some egg wash. This gives a nice colour to the pie once its cooked. Sprinkle a little sugar over the lid.
- Place in a pre heated over ~ 170 C – 180 C
- Check after 20 mins if needed add a little more cooking time. The lid should be a deep golden brown colour.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow to cool a little before serving.