This is a basic apple sauce Mix which is used for many things such as pies Apple sauce etc.
The quantities are given as a guideline for an 8″ / 20 cm pie.
- 5oz golden sugar ( Demerara ). White or Basic brown sugar is fine.
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 600g/1lb 5oz Bramley or Granny Smith cooking apples, peeled, cored, sliced. The same weight for other fruits such as pears, plumb, fig, berries, passion fruit or a mix of all of them.
- Apple and raspberry or black berry works well.
- Apple or Pear with gooseberry also works well.
- Apple or Pear with Apricot is tasty.
Mix the sugar, cinnamon and cornflour in a large pot – with a lid.
Stir in the apples.
Cover the pot and cook on a low heat.
Or if you have a slow cook pot, in mine it takes about 3 hours – The advantage being they do not stick to the pot.
Check from time to time. Its done when the fruit starts to soften.
Give it a little stir from time to time and if need add some water.
DO NOT LET THE MIXTURE STICK TO THE POT OR BECOME DRY – It will burn and not taste very nice.
The fruit is done when it begins to soften.
Add sugar to taste.