Skip to content
- 6 lamb shanks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- Â½ swede/turnip, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 250g (9oz) pearl barley
- 1Â½ litres chicken stock
- 2-3 tbsp mint jelly
- 3 tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2.
- 2. Season the lamb shanks with salt and black pepper.
- 3. Heat a large ovenproof casserole until hot, add the oil and lamb shanks and cook on each side until golden brown.
- 4. Remove from the pan then add the onions, carrot, swede and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- 5. Add the rosemary, bay, thyme and tomato puree and cook for a further minute.
- 6. Add the pearl barley and stock to the pan then add the lamb shanks and bring to a simmer.
- 7. Cover tightly then transfer to the oven and cook for as long as possible â 3-6 hours.
- 8. Remove from the oven, then add the mint jelly and parsley.
- 9. Check the seasoning then serve.