Skip to content
- 500g strong white bread flour, plus extra for kneading
- 7g sachet fast action yeast
- 1½ tsp caster sugar
- 1½ tsp fine sea salt
- 300-350ml warm water
- vegetable oil, for the bowl
For the topping
- 90g rice flour
- ½ x 7g sachet fast action yeast
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- ½ tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 90ml warm water
- Add the flour into a large mixing bowl. Stir through the yeast, sugar and salt.
- Make a well in the middle and gradually pour in the water.
- Swiftly mix together, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface
- Knead the bread for 8-10 mins or until smooth and elastic.
- Lightly oil a large mixing bowl, then put the dough in the bowl, cover and leave in a warm place for 1 hr or until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, tip it onto a worktop and knead it three times.
- Shape the dough into an oval as best you can.
- Lightly flour a baking sheet and sit the loaf on it.
- Cover loosely with lightly oiled cling film and leave for a further 45 mins-1 hr or until doubled in size again.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Whisk together all of the topping ingredients in a small bowl until you get a spreadable paste, adding more water and/or flour if necessary, then set aside to rest for 5 mins.
- Gently spread the mixture over the loaf with a palette knife.
- Place the baking sheet in the centre of the oven and bake for 35 mins.
- Once cooked, the loaf should sound hollow when the base is tapped and should feel light for its size.
- Leave to cool completely before cutting into slices.