A comforting classic, this easy potato soup uses a handful of store cupboard ingredients to great effect.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. When it foams, add the potatoes and onions and toss them in the butter until well coated.
- Sprinkle with salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cover with a butter wrapper or paper lid and the lid of the saucepan. Sweat on a gentle heat for approximately 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring the stock to the boil. When the vegetables are soft but not coloured add the boiling stock and continue to cook for about 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the milk and purÃ©e the soup in a blender or food processor. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve sprinkled with a few freshly chopped herbs or some of the following garnishes.