This was a family favourite of ours.I would often help either Nan or Mum make this. Serves well with mash or baked potato, boiled veg and Or if you prefer after steaming it can be fried to give a crisp coating. This was one of my sister’s favourite ways of enjoying. We mostly did this option with left overs for breakfast the following day.
- 1 mix of Click Here Suet Pastry Mix.
- 6 rashers of bacon. The number varied depending on the size poly you make or how much bacon you like. I personally like to put as much as I can fit into the dough mix.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge.
- Sprinkle a little flour on a flat surface, this stops the pastry from sticking to the surface whilst rolling it
- Using a rolling pin or if you do not have one, I have used a heavy bottle such as a wine bottle. Roll the pastry regularly turning over and give it a twist until the pastry is the correct size and thickness ( I like about 1cm thick) remember you will be rolling it up like a Swiss roll.
- Place the bacon along the pastry ( rectangle ) using as much as you wish.
- Roll up the pastry and a bacon to form a sausage shape. This should result in a layer of pastry, layer of bacon and so on. Again like a Swiss Roll.
- Cover a piece of greaseproof or baking paper with a thin a covering of butter / other fat.
- Cover the roll with the paper from above and also wrap it in an outer layer of foil.
- Secure the foil with some string or elastic bands.
- Pre heat a steamer either a dedicated device or a large pot with a steaming tray which fits inside and does not touch the water. It must also have a well fitting lid.
- Place the roll in the steaming tray. Put the lid on.
- Steam after 20 mins if needed add a little more water.
THE STEAMER MUST NOT BOIL DRY.
- Total cooking is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- To test when its done use a skewer or small knife and put through the top. The knife / skewer should be clean and not have wet pastry sticking to it. Its the same method you use when testing cakes.
- When its cooked, remove the pudding(s) from the steamer.
- Remove the foil and greased paper coverings and allow to cool a little before cutting into slices and serve.